The employer is a company with 150 employees which manufactures cardboard for boxes. Nine of the 150 employees are disabled.
Disability and functional restriction of the employee:
- loss of the toes and midfoot on the left
- slight defective position of the stump
- muscle reduction of the left lower leg
- right hip and knee joint disease
- right shoulder disease
As a result of the forefoot amputation he must wear orthopaedic shoes. He has considerable problems when working in his knees, in crouching and with a bent upper body. Certain body postures must therefore be avoided when carrying out activities. His degree of disability is 50.
He works as a mechanic for his employer.
Workplace and duties (actual status):
He is employed in the maintenance of vehicles, transport and lifting appliances. For example the diesel powered forklift requires an oil change every three weeks. The largest forklifts in use weigh approx. 5,000 kg and when in use have a height of 3 m
Repair and maintenance work require regular work while kneeling or with bent posture which in his case lead to painful conditions and reduced safety when standing.
Workplace and duties (desired status):
For the disabled-friendly layout and thus avoidance of working in unphysiological postures (kneeling or crouching) the following aids are needed:
- hydraulic lifting platform (loading capacity size 5,000 kg) for taking up the forklifts
- scissor lift for repairing and maintenance of electric and manual forklifts
as well as other transport vehicles
Assistive devices used:
lifting and positioning systems